In order to use RunSignup, your browser must accept cookies. Otherwise, you will not be able to register for races or use other functionality of the website. However, your browser doesn't appear to allow cookies by default.
If you still see this message after clicking the link, then your browser settings are likely set to not allow cookies. Please try enabling cookies. You can find instructions at https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-enable-cookies/auto.
The Suffer Better Challenge for Change
Suffer Better Challenge for Change
In today’s tumultuous times – the volatile mix of a vicious virus, political pandemonium, seemingly unending environmental destruction, and a society pleading and demonstrating for an end to racism – it’s hard not to feel overwhelmed, lost and even powerless. But we are firm believers that we, each of us – individually and collectively – are the ones who can change things for the better. We believe that we can, and must, be the ones to step up and make a difference. As someone way smarter than us once said, “if not us, who and if not now, when.” Still true.
The Suffer Better Challenge for Change
That gets us to our latest challenge, what we’re calling the Suffer Better “Challenge for Change.” And we’re inviting you to join us. Our two foundational pillars have always been to give your all and to give back. Of course, as athletes, applying the “give your all” piece is easy: you go faster or farther or higher. We also wholeheartedly believe that the privilege to do the things we can comes with the obligation to give back; to protect the places we enjoy, to help those in need and to ensure that future generations have opportunities to thrive. As humans and members of a variety of communities, we think those same two pieces – giving your all and giving back – precisely fit the world outside of endurance, too. Here’s the deal:
1) Perhaps you, like us, have asked yourself what it is you can actually do to be a difference maker in these crazy times. How can you – this one person – do something that makes this world better?
2) What did you tell yourself? What is it? Volunteer regularly somewhere? Join a protest? Launch a new program? Speak up? Or even change old habits?
3) Once you’ve decided what you can do: how are you going to do it? What’s your plan? How do you begin?
4) Are you going it alone, or are you joining forces with another or others?
5) What does it look like when you’ve done what you set out to do? How is “it” (your community, your neighborhood, your school, your organization, your...) now better? How do you keep it that way?
6) Bottom line – we’re calling on you to challenge yourself to spend the next 30 days identifying and implementing real steps that you can take to improve your community, however you define that.
7) Got it? Good – now:
a. Make sure you are registered at: https://www.givesignup.org/Race/CO/AnyCity/ChallengeforChange . Tell your friends.
b. It’s free to sign up, but you are also invited, encouraged, to donate whatever feels right to our Do Good Grant Program, which supports members of the Suffer Better community with an innovative project that mixes endurance activity with meaningful philanthropy.
i. If you’d prefer to give your money to another nonprofit – add a note with your donation and we’ll simply pass the $ on.
c. Everyone who completes her or his challenge will receive a custom Suffer Better Challenge for Change patch.
8) Once you’ve signed up, we’ll send you an invitation to join the Challenge for Change Google group and add your info to our shared Google doc, so you can share your thoughts and progress with other group members, ask one another questions, or seek advice and inspiration. Again, one small piece of this for all of us is accountability, and of course another is to share our work, support one another and move the needle together.
9) Mind you, we certainly do not want you to let your endurance goals wither, knowing how important those are to our ability to refresh, rejuvenate and reflect. So feel free to incorporate those too.
10) It should go without saying, but we’ll say it anyway, the goal of this challenge is to focus on positive action and change, and the purpose of the forum is solely to assist you and your fellow Challenge members contribute to just that: any kind of meanness/nastiness – in words or action - is unacceptable and any negative, prejudiced, or other inappropriate comments, criticisms or questions will be stricken and the user banned from further participation in the event and group. Cool?
11) As you go about achieving your goal, tag us on IG and FB - @sufferbetter, #sufferbetter, #sufferbettercrew, #challengeforchange, #sufferbetterchallengeforchange, #sufferbetterc4c. Spread the good.
12) Good. Let’s go. Let’s do this. Together.
Please complete the following survey to help us better understand your race experience.