Additional race information can be found at https://www.exmico.com/.
Valparaiso, IN US 46383
Welcome to the Extra Mile Fitness Company Half and Full Marathon Training programs.
- These programs are geared towards beginner to advanced runners or run/walkers.
- We welcome all paces and abilities.
- Over the past 6 years, we have helped hundreds of people cross the finish line.
- Our coaching staff consists of runners who have been certified and continue to chase their dreams with running.
- One of the most asked questions we receive is "will I be able to keep up". Our answer is YES! We leave no person behind.
- We encourage the group to find "running buddies".
- We also encourage you to show up for the group runs. The power of the group can help you achieve more than you ever dreamed possible.
Here are a few quotes from our 2018 Fall Half and Full Training participants and coaches:
- Another great season comes to an end!! We are grateful for all the miles/memories made this year. #extramile #runningfamily
- Last training run with this wonderful group. I have met new friends, crushed goals and became stronger both physically and mentally. Thank you so much and I can’t wait until January to do it all again! Yep I am crazy but hooked!
- I just wanted to say thank you to all the coaches and this group! I have learned a lot this year and survived more longer races this year then I ever thought earthly possible for me. I look forward to running with ya all next year again, once the training groups start up in the winter ☺️!
- Way to go #morningcrew! It was a bit chilly out but we all warmed up with those intervals. How awesome to still have a few of you out there to run with! You made my day. Thanks to coach George Nietert for coming out this morning ⛄
- What I see: runners, friends, mom's, dad's, inspiration, determination, love, family. I am in awe by all of you! The cheers, encouragement, tears, joy we give each other is unmatched. We encourage others to join us to inspire them the way each of us has inspired each other. If we could bottle and show the world what we have, we'd have more runners. We are so much more than a group of runners we are #runningfamily Looking forward to many more years together!
We look forward to meeting you and helping you reach your goals. As we move closer to the beginning of training, you may consider a few tips in preparation:
- Running Days: Start running or continue the same number of days you plan on training (i.e. if you plan on training 4 days per week, then run 4 days of week now or work yourself up to 4 days). Don't worry so much about how far or fast you are running just that you are moving the number of days you will be training.
Footwear and Socks: Take a look at your current footwear and be sure that they will help you get through your training. Most marathon programs take 2 pairs of shoes. If you have not purchased a pair in over a year, you are probably due for a new pair. Remember to mention you are with the training group to receive $10 off any regular priced shoe at the Extra Mile. Socks are also key as they help with blister prevention and allow for extra cushioning you may appreciate during the longer runs.
- Time Management: A key to a successful half or full marathon comes with your commitment to the training program. As you look at the schedule, ask yourself how many days can you commit to the training? How many weekends can I commit to the long runs that can take up to 3 or more hours? Be honest with yourself. It's better to underestimate your commitment than to overestimate. [LEVEL 1 = 4 days, LEVEL 2 = 5 days, LEVEL 3 = 6 days]
- Be Mindful: During the first 6 weeks of the training, it's better to be conservative versus aggressive in your training. Overtraining at the beginning of a half or full marathon training program can sometimes lead to injury or burnout. We want you to reach the starting line excited, healthy and feeling fresh!
Upcoming Key Dates:
- Wednesday, December 19th at 6:30 pm: Call Out meeting for those interested in participating in a half or full marathon in the Spring of 2019. It will also be an opportunity to meet the Program Director and Coaches. LOCATION: Extra Mile (1330 E. Lincolnway, Valparaiso).
- Thursday, January 3rd at 6:30 pm: Call Out meeting for those interested in participating in a half or marathon in the Spring of 2019. It will also be an opportunity to meet the Program Director and Coaches. LOCATION: Extra Mile (1330 E. Lincolnway, Valparaiso).
- Sunday, January 6th at 7:30 am: "Kick Off to Training" Pancake Run. This is the first long run of the training schedule. It is open to EVERYONE, so bring a friend or two. We will be accepting sign ups for the training and the coaches will once again be available for questions. LOCATION: Extra Mile (1330 E. Lincolnway, Valparaiso).
- Tuesday, January 8th (5:30 am/6:00 pm): This will be the first date for interval training. You have the option to attend either time. LOCATION: We will meet in the parking lot behind Valparaiso High School (football field entrance) and run from that location both times. (Valparaiso High School, 2727 N. Campbell, Valparaiso)
Training Schedules for both the half and full training:
- We will provide print outs as well as electronic versions of the upcoming training programs. The dates will reflect "GOAL RACES" for the 1st week in May. If you signed up for a different "GOAL RACE" please let us know and we will change your dates accordingly.
Again, all of the coaches feel honored and lucky you have chosen to be a part of the 2019 Spring Half and Marathon Training Program.
Please feel free to reach out to any of us if you have any questions.
George Nietert - email@example.com
Heather Henderlong - firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Sandberg email@example.com
Race Contact Info
If you have any questions about this race, click the button below.
Like this page and invite your friends on Facebook.
Race Participant Survey
Please complete the following survey to help us better understand your race experience.